Social media is a prime ingredient of any effective Internet marketing initiative. Brands can connect with customers and prospects via social networks by sharing insightful content, leading discussions and interacting with individual followers. According to research conducted by Social Media Examiner, marketers deem increased business exposure as the top benefit of social media marketing. Maintaining active profiles on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Google Plus can indeed spread awareness about a company, but social media marketing requires a certain degree of marketing strategy.
A recent infographic from Social Marketing Writing published by Business 2 Community outlined several ways brands can capitalize on the opportunities Facebook provides to boost brand exposure. While the infographic focuses specifically on Facebook, its recommendations can be applied to most, if not all, social channels. According to the graphic:
- Watch the clock: Post content when social media profile owners are most likely to check their sites. While these times may fluctuate among B2B buyers, early morning, late afternoon and early evening are strong windows.
- Embrace multimedia: Photos posted on Facebook reportedly get 120 percent more engagement than average posts. Images, graphics and other visual elements are likely to command attention as Web users increasingly seek content that's easy to digest quickly.
- Use calls to action: Encouraging followers to engage with the brand's content and share it can increase the number of people seeing it.
- Let posts stew: While it's important to interact with users consistently, Social Marketing Writing stated it takes one post 2 1/2 hours to accumulate 75 percent of its total impressions. It's a good idea to leave at least a few hours between posts to ensure they get maximum visibility.
Additionally, here are two other ways brands can best use social media marketing to improve brand exposure:
- Use hashtags: Hashtags can help content shared via Twitter and Facebook better reach their target audience. In particular, information pertaining to trends or current events can benefit from being promoted using hashtags. While it's important to use unique, memorable hashtags, Twitter's Developer's website suggests that oftentimes, the most simple or understandable ones are the most effective.
- Listen to followers: It's important to take note of what posts get the most traction among target audience members. This allows B2B marketing professionals to better understand what types of content, phrasing and format will add the most to brand visibility initiatives.