Email video in content marketing
Email plays an important role in many business-to-business companies' Internet marketing strategies. The evolution of mobile technology has allowed people to check their inboxes consistently throughout the day, making email an ideal platform for brands carrying out effective multichannel campaigns. Just as with social media, blogging and other content marketing outlets, diverse media is important in email marketing. In addition to using the medium to share e-newsletters and information about case studies, webinars and white papers, many brands are finding sending videos via email is a strong marketing tactic.
Marketers increasingly considering video email
An infographic recently published by MarketingProfs found that while only one-quarter of marketers surveyed are using video in email, 80 percent are either very or somewhat likely to begin using it in the near future. The results are based on a survey of 266 marketing executives conducted by Relevancy group, one of 200 email marketers from Get Response and research on video compatibility in email from Email Monks and Email Acid.
The infographic points out several business advantages of sending video to clients and prospects via email, namely the ability to stand out from competitors, increased Web traffic and the versatility the media type provides.
Using HTML 5, roughly 58 percent of video email recipients are able to watch the clip in their inbox because they are iOS device owners. The remaining 42 percent reportedly see an image they must click on to open a video player.
What works in video
As the infographic explains, one of the benefits of using video in marketing is the variety of fresh content that can be generated. Whether brands are creating videos based on existing written content like research reports or for new ideas like expert interviews, the media type is extremely flexible.
When marketers were asked what the most effective types of email videos are, nearly 3 in 10 stated training content, 22 percent listed product demonstrations and 19 percent said product promotions. Other video topics respondents deemed beneficial to marketing efforts were customer testimonials and brand image messages.
Seeking inspiration for video marketing
Videos that brands create don't have to be used solely for email marketing. They can and should be featured on the company's website and blog, as well as shared via social media. In fact, the more channels clips are published on, the more likely they are to get shared by brand followers and prospects. B2B marketing professionals searching for fresh ideas for branded videos can consider the following tips:
- Strive to be educational: One of the best ways to boost brand awareness and reputation is to provide something of value to clients and prospects. Strong content marketing revolves around giving followers something unique, helpful and relevant. Videos can be used to promote the brand as a industry leader. Consider a video series of how-to's, interviews with leaders at the company or answers to common questions related to the brand's products, services or industry.
- Focus on customers: With B2B buyers regarding their peers' opinions highly, it's important to include the client's voice in content marketing initiatives. Just as case studies have proven extremely effective, brands showcase their customers' positive experiences by creating videos that share their stories.
- Tailor content for the buyer's journey: Just as clients and prospects are likely to consume different types of content from a brand, it's a good idea to send leads and customers certain videos based on their relationship with the brand. While clients may enjoy videos that focus on explaining a niche topic, prospective buyers who have shown interest in the brand may want to see product demos. Meanwhile, interviews with the CEO and other company leaders may best suited for prospects' introduction to the brand.
DON'T MISS OUT
SIGN UP FOR UPDATES
Marketing insights and best practices from this blog will be delivered right to your email box.
With more than 20 years of hands on marketing strategy and operations experience, Sheila Kloefkorn is dedicated to developing marketing strategies and plans that help clients succeed. Some of the world's largest brands have depended on Sheila for marketing programs that delivered tangible and substantial results. Specialties: B2B marketing, lead generation, lead nurturing, sales strategy, marketing strategy, competitive marketing strategy, social media, search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), mobile marketing,, email marketing, website design, marketing plans.