Best Practices for Digital Marketing for Technology Companies
The technology industry worldwide is expanding at a rapid pace.
Forrester projects that the global tech market will grow 5% this year alone. The United States has the largest tech market, and will also increase by 5% in 2017.
There are many reasons tech is flourishing so fast. Increasingly, people around the world have access to the internet on their desktop and mobile devices, and the Internet of Things is advancing many parts of our everyday lives. Virtual reality is becoming more prevalent, autonomous cars are starting to be visible in cities, and wireless internet providers are rolling out new technologies.
As the tech industry grows, competition grows with it. Technology businesses that cannot keep up will lose sales as well as customers. If they want to captivate the attention of consumers and clients, technology organizations need to pursue digital marketing efforts.
The Best Practices for Digital Marketing for Technology Companies
Digital marketing for technology companies differs from that of other businesses.
Technology companies can accomplish their specific needs and goals by pursuing these best practices:
- Create Compelling Content: If you are a business to business (B2B) technology company, create case studies, webinars, and white papers that demonstrate your experience and thought leadership. According to DemandGen Report, white papers, webinars, and case studies were the top three types of content that B2B buyers used to make buying decisions in the past 12 months.
- Offer Interactive Trials and Demos: Offer a free trial or demo of your products and services and follow-up with content and marketing messages designed to facilitate the buyer’s journey. For example, if you have a SaaS software business, your customers and clients will appreciate being able to do a test run of your technology before signing on for a monthly or yearly subscription. Once they have downloaded your free trial, send follow-up emails to ensure they are trying it out. Reach out with blog posts and answers to frequently asked questions to ensure they know how to work the technology properly.
- Utilize LinkedIn, because it is one of the most prevalent sites for sharing business content, according to DemandGenReport. Also, according to Content Marketing Institute/MarketingProfs, LinkedIn is the top platform for B2B content marketing.
- Focus on search engine marketing. You can increase search engine visibility by creating keyword-rich, well-written, and valuable blog posts for your audience on your company blog, guest posting on highly visible industry related blogs, buying Google ads, and building big followings on your social media networks. In all of your content offerings and ads, focus on what your prospects needs may be and how your technology will make their lives easier. Make sure you eliminate any technical jargon and write in everyday terms, since your some parts of your target audience may not be familiar with industry terms and definitions.
- Emphasize mobile-friendly content and campaigns. Since more people use their smartphones to search Google, and 42% of B2B researchers use mobile devices to conduct product research while in the office, your offerings must be compatible with mobile. Do not create Flash websites or long videos/blog posts. Instead, keep posts and videos short, produce mobile versions of your websites, and eliminate pop-ups.
- Make explainer videos. According to Animoto, four times as many customers prefer to watch a product video to reading about a product. Since your audience is not familiar with your product, they are going to need to know how it works. Send out videos with free trials and showcase them on your services and FAQ pages.
Getting Started with Digital Marketing
By investing in digital marketing, you are putting your best foot forward and contributing to the success of your company. Leverage these best practices to accomplish your business goals.
Are you with a technology company that wants to stand out from the competition? Contact KEO Marketing today for a complimentary audit and digital marketing consultation.
DON'T MISS OUT
SIGN UP FOR UPDATES
Marketing insights and best practices from this blog will be delivered right to your email box.
With more than 20 years of hands on marketing strategy and operations experience, Sheila Kloefkorn is dedicated to developing marketing strategies and plans that help clients succeed. Some of the world's largest brands have depended on Sheila for marketing programs that delivered tangible and substantial results. Specialties: B2B marketing, lead generation, lead nurturing, sales strategy, marketing strategy, competitive marketing strategy, social media, search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), mobile marketing,, email marketing, website design, marketing plans.