A Digital Media Marketing Overview
Digital media is quickly becoming a favorite method with marketers. According to the Magna Global Advertising Forecast, by 2017 digital advertising is estimated to be worth $171 Billion, accounting for more than a quarter of global advertising spend. In the US, ad spend on the Internet overtook all media except broadcast television in 2014.
It is no surprise that digital marketing is growing so rapidly. Superior targeting, tracking and analytics allow on-the-fly changes to achieve a higher ROI than traditional media. The wide range of media and ability to integrate messaging across multiple channels also gives marketers the ability to connect with the target audience in ways not achievable through standard advertising.
What is digital media marketing? Digital media is any content that can be delivered via computers and mobile devices such as digital video, web pages, e-books, podcasts and mp3 files. Digital marketing means integrating it into campaigns in order to provide usable content to your target audience in order to compel them to visit your website and/or purchase your products.
Digital media marketing is popular because it is effective. For example, Demandbase, a targeting and personalization platform for business-to-business (B2B) companies, launched a campaign to help B2B marketers make the right content technology investment. Their campaign included using a white paper, an infographic, a webinar, Slideshare slides and a live presentation to spotlight tools that can maximize the power of content. The campaign resulted in 1,700 leads, 125 webinar participants, 5,000 views on Slideshare and $1 million in new business.
An effective digital media marketing campaign starts by understanding your business goals. Digital marketing is composed of marketing channels that can be measured, adapted and adjusted on-the-fly to fit those needs. Because of this, you will want to know the results you want to achieve so that you can put together a program that will achieve the best business results possible. Ask yourself questions such as:
- What are our one-year and five-year digital goals?
- What digital marketing have we done so far?
- What has been the result of that marketing?
- In which areas of digital marketing do we feel we need to strengthen our presence?
- Which areas of digital marketing are our competitors moving into?
From there you evaluate the types of marketing media that can help you best reach your target audience. For example:
- Social Media: Growing the social community with strategies such as building social networks, creating mobile networks and showing thought leadership in blogs, forums and social communities.
- Influencer Marketing: Outreach and partnering with industry leaders and influencers in order to access their networks and tap into their earned credibility.
- Content Marketing: Developing engaging content such as blog posts, web pages and articles in order to attract potential clients and build brand credibility.
Finally, coordination and synchronization among the elements is critical. A good campaign delivers consistent messaging to the target audience through a variety of channels, thereby driving home the brand message and compelling action from the prospect.
While this may seem a bit overwhelming, it can be handled effectively by a digital media marketing agency. They can create a high-impact plan, help you develop your content, implement, track and optimize the results. To learn more about how to find a digital marketing agency that can help you, download KEO Marketing’s free Marketer’s Guide titled “Five Keys to Hiring a Digital Marketing Agency”.