Five Tips for an Improved Website Conversion Rate
“What is a good conversion rate for my lead generation campaign?” That is a question that most marketing people ask when they are planning a campaign. Conversion rate, in this case is calculated as the percentage of website visitors who perform an action on your website to begin a relationship with your company, is a great indicator of a campaign’s success. So it is no wonder everyone wants to compare their conversion rate to the competition and/or to some universal average.
Unfortunately for that viewpoint, there is no universal average. A study by MarketingSherpa.com showed that the average conversion rate is 8.5%. But that does not necessarily mean that this rate applies to you. It depends on a number of things.
Rather than concerning yourself with reaching the website conversion rates of others, your focus should be on improving your current conversion rates. There is always room for improvement and there are plenty of methods for doing so. The key to an improved conversion rate for a given page or action is to not get so bogged down in tweaking every little aspect of your landing page (such as button colors, headlines, images, etc.) that you fail to see the big picture. While changing the color of a button can bring small gains in your conversion rates, it is ultimately your offer and your audience that will help you improve your conversion rates by leaps and bounds.
Here are a few tips for optimizing conversion rates.
- Pay attention to your offer. Consider the needs of the audience that you are attracting and make sure the offer appeals to them. Instead of testing your images and layout, test a few different offers using the same audience. If there is a clear winner, make this offer the basis for your campaigns. Then use this knowledge to shape similar offers in the future.
- Establish trust. Visitors who are not familiar with your company may be hesitant to enter their contact information, even in exchange for something of value. Therefore, add credibility-building indicators that that will build trust in your company. Adding customer testimonials, displaying product reviews and listing notable certifications and awards that your company has won can go a long way toward establishing trust with your audience.
- Make your calls-to-action really easy to find. The call-to-action is the most important element on your landing page. Do not force your users to search all over the page to find what is expected of them. Make your call-to-action buttons very big and colorful and place them where they are most likely to be seen. Also, make special considerations for mobile devices. The typical adult finger covers 45 pixels on a mobile device. You will want to design the call-to-action buttons with that in mind.
- Make sure the content is scannable. Website visitors skim over the content on a web page quickly; they do not read all of it. Therefore, create content in “chunks”; break text into bulleted lists and short paragraphs wherever possible. Visitors also scan in an F-shaped pattern, so place greater weight on the information at the top and left side of your page. Remember, page visitors are only going to read about a quarter of the words on the page before they either perform the action you recommend or they move to another page. Make sure that every word on the page moves them to action.
- Use retargeting to optimize your audience. Quantity does not equal quality. Showing your ads to a larger list of people does not guarantee you more conversions. The prospects who are most likely to convert are the prospects who will be most interested in your offer from the beginning. Therefore, target your initial audience carefully and then use retargeting techniques based on the responses to send the next wave of ads out to more tightly targeted prospects.
You can learn more about this by downloading KEO Marketing’s free Marketer’s Guide titled “Five Strategic Approaches to Website Design and Development for Increased Conversions”.
A high conversion rate is the most important result of a lead generation campaign. Investing the time to improve your conversion rate should be of top priority. As a leading B2B marketing agency, KEO Marketing can help analyze your audience, your offer and your content to find areas where improvement can be made. Contact us today to learn more.