Online Ad Spending Jumps in the U.S.
Companies continue to spend lots of money for online advertising campaigns, according to a recent report on U.S. advertising trends. Search-related tactics accounts for the largest portion of that spending, but mobile continues to gain ground quickly.
As Internet Retailer notes in U.S. Online Ad Spending Jumps 18% in the First Half of 2013, U.S. online advertising spending increased 17.9% in the first half of 2013, to nearly $20.07 billion (from nearly $17.03 billion for the same period last year), according to the Interactive Advertising Bureau.
The report, prepared by PricewaterhouseCoopers, also found:
• Mobile spending spiked 145% year over year in the first half to about $3.0 billion. That accounts for about 15% of the first half 2013 spending.
• Search spending jumped 7% year over year in the first half to $8.7 billion. That amounts to about 43% of online ad spending in the first half of the year, giving search the largest single share of that spend.
• Display advertising spending increased 9% year over year in the first half to $6.1 billion. Display accounted for about 30% of spending during the first half in the United States.
• Digital video spending increased 24% year over year in the first half to $1.3 billion. That accounts for about 6% of the overall first half spending.
• Other first half ad spending came from e-mail marketing, along with classifieds and lead generation.
To learn how one company conducted an effective online campaign despite budget challenges, check out the KEO Marketing case study, Online B2B Marketing and Lead Generation Tactics Increase Sales.
DON'T MISS OUT
SIGN UP FOR UPDATES
Marketing insights and best practices from this blog will be delivered right to your email box.
With more than 20 years of hands on marketing strategy and operations experience, Sheila Kloefkorn is dedicated to developing marketing strategies and plans that help clients succeed. Some of the world's largest brands have depended on Sheila for marketing programs that delivered tangible and substantial results. Specialties: B2B marketing, lead generation, lead nurturing, sales strategy, marketing strategy, competitive marketing strategy, social media, search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), mobile marketing,, email marketing, website design, marketing plans.