SEO for CEOs: Public Relations for the Digital Age
Every organization looks at SEO (search engine optimization) and how it relates to their company a little bit differently. Local companies may view it as a way to drive in new customers to their store and enterprises may consider SEO as an extension of the IT department, the marketing department or the public relations department.
In all reality, all companies should view SEO as a public relations initiative. Before I define why SEO is PR, I’ll first tell what SEO isn’t. SEO is not a media buy; it isn’t advertising, direct marketing or a guerilla tactic.
SEO is a branding tool, used to drive sales through brand awareness, placement and sentiment. SEO is today’s best digital PR medium for the 5 following reasons:
- Visibility – With 11 billion searches happening every month through Google alone, you bet your customer is looking for the product or services you offer
- Trust – The majority of consumers agree that top ranked results in search engines are typically the most relevant and authoritative pages for what they need
- Inbound Marketing – When a visits discovers your website in an organic, or inbound manner, your content takes over and drives the user to an end goal, whether that is a checkout page or to collect a lead
- Scale – Search continues to grow in every industry and represents huge revenue opportunities
- Reputation Management – You can control your message by dominating the search results for your branded (company name) and non-branded (products/services you offer) terms.
For organizations with a web presence, but lacking in qualified web traffic or leads, it is time to take SEO seriously. SEO can be your biggest friend in the digital space, or it can be ignore and left to dominated by your competitors.
DON'T MISS OUT
SIGN UP FOR UPDATES
Marketing insights and best practices from this blog will be delivered right to your email box.
With more than 20 years of hands on marketing strategy and operations experience, Sheila Kloefkorn is dedicated to developing marketing strategies and plans that help clients succeed. Some of the world's largest brands have depended on Sheila for marketing programs that delivered tangible and substantial results. Specialties: B2B marketing, lead generation, lead nurturing, sales strategy, marketing strategy, competitive marketing strategy, social media, search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), mobile marketing,, email marketing, website design, marketing plans.