SEO News: November 2009 Google Algorithm Update
As expected, Google has updated their search engine algorithm, causing some websites to increase their rankings and others to fall. Where does your website stand? If you’re not sure, here is what you need to know about Google’s most recent update for effective SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
The new update seems to favor new pages, or new content. New pages are those that have recently been added to your website; new content refers to pages that have gone through significant changes in regards to content. What does this mean? It basically means that if you don’t update your website by adding new content or new pages, your ranking will fall. Google loves to see fresh, new and original content on a consistent basis.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to putting new pages or new content on your site:
- Changing the layout, template, images, etc will not get your site to rank higher.
- Add alt tags to images, allowing the search engines to get a text sample of what the image is telling visitors.
- You really need to change your website content. Don’t just add a few lines of text, reorder your content, or use auto-generated content. Major changes to the text should be made, even if this means starting from scratch or rewriting all of your existing copy.
- The new copy should contain the proper keywords for each page. Use keywords that have a lot of searches and/or little competition. Each web page should be properly optimized for each keyword – but don’t overdo it as the search engines will view this as spam, negatively impacting your website, or even getting you permanently banned from the search engines.
- Your homepage should link to the most important pages in your website. The more pages the homepage links to on your website, the higher those pages will rank in the search engine.
- Create fresh, new keyword targeted content for other sites, news sites, article directories and blogs and link that content to related content on your site.
All contents copyright © 2017 by KEO Marketing, Inc.