Five SEO Tips for Company Blogging
Company blogging can provide businesses an outlet for news, product updates, service announcements, customer interaction and so much more. Adding a company blog to your SEO and social networking strategies can help your organization leverage a community of interested users who often convert into buyers.
Blogging as a company strategy can help businesses gain online exposure for their products or services. Consumers interested in these products or services can read about them, post comments, and then spread that information by linking, ranking or re-posting in their own blog. This viral marketing practice has become popular as a search engine optimization strategy because search engines value current information and it can boost a website’s popularity quickly.
Who reads blogs? Everyone! Recent studies have shown that 70% of all current internet users read blogs.
Why don’t more companies utilize blogs? Because blog audiences require great content, unique content and consistent content, and that can be a lot for just one person to manage. That’s why a lot of companies are beginning to encourage multiple authors to contribute. It’s a great concept, but it can be daunting. Creating a company blog that lines up with your social media and SEO marketing strategies requires more than just setting it up and letting writers post at will. With a little planning, however, the results of a well-thought out company blog can be staggering!
Here are 5 SEO tips for company blogging:
- Give the blog a goal. What is the purpose of your company blog? Will you use it to provide updates on company news, industry news or both? Will you talk about your products and services? Will you use it to position your company as a thought-leader in your industry? Will you provide educational or how-to content?
- Assign keywords. If you’re going to create a blog, you may as well take advantage of it from an SEO perspective. A good keyword strategy is very important! You must teach all contributing writers how to incorporate keywords into their blog entries, and provide them with keywords that target the necessary audience for their topic(s). Be sure to target keywords that you haven’t already used on your website.
- Assign authors. It can be difficult to be the sole contributor for a blog – you have to come up with a lot of unique content on a consistent basis and it isn’t always easy! Enlist key team members as blog authors and lessen the burden. This will help your company blog tremendously – it creates a natural diversity in writing style and provide better SEO content.
- Provide guidelines. Your blog authors may be good writers, but each will have their own way of doing things. Provide them with guidelines that will help your company blog look and feel consistent in its layout and message. Remind them of the goals of the blog and reiterate the company’s overall message. You may also want to establish a word limit of 200-300 words per entry… you can always link to full articles on another page of your website.
- Share the success. Contributing to a blog shouldn’t be a thankless job. Give each author a byline on their blog posts and allow them to respond to reader comments. Give praise when praise is due – if a blog post generates a lot attention, be sure to provide the author with further recognition!